Monday, December 18, 2006

my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Joseph Phaneuf II

i am so very sorry for your loss

Eastford soldier killed in Afghanistan


(Eastford-WTNH, Dec. 17, 2006 6:30 PM) _ Eastford is remembering a hometown hero as another Connecticut soldier is killed while serving on the front lines.
This latest casualty of war is Staff Sergeant Joseph Phaneuf II. He leaves behind a wife and three children.
The family tells News Channel 8 that Phaneuf was killed by a roadside bomb on Friday while driving a truck in Afghanistan.
Phaneuf was a member of the National Guard 1-102nd out of New Haven. In 2004 he was serving in Iraq, returned home and then was deployed to Afghanistan.
His wife says that he was a hero.......


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe Phaneuf was a good man, patriot, and father. I served with Joe in Iraq from February 2004 - February 2005. He was one of my soldiers, but we were more like brothers. Both children of the eighties, we spent many nights quoting lines from cheesy 80's movies to each other. I would start a song and Joe would finish it. We ended up with quite a collection of DVD's and songs before we left.
I wasn't shocked at all when I found out he volunteered to go to Afghanistan. That was pure Joe, he knew he could make a difference in a less fortunate persons life and he didn't hesitate.
I pray for his family, I replay conversations we had, I weep, I know I'm a better man for having known him, I want to do better in my life for him, I'm sorry for those of you who didn't know him, I will miss him. My brother, my friend, Joe Phaneuf.

Major Tom Strohmeyer
United States Army

Unknown said...

i do so thank you for writing major. i am sorry for your loss. your words are quite moving. i am sure joe is smiling somewhere, remembering those movie quotes.

no matter what my personal beliefs are about us being in the middle east, i will NEVER stop supporting our men and women. i have just adopted yet another soldier. i even got my whole department (and their families) to fill out a ton of christmas cards. i make sure the troops i'm assigned get regular mail and care packages. i always tell them how much we all support them (and we ALL do). it's only a tiny bit i can contribute, but it's so important to me to let those men and women know we would NEVER abandon them.

a happy, healthy and SAFE holiday season and new year to you major

Unknown said...

i forgot to say thank you major, for serving