Tuesday, August 07, 2007

follow up to da liebs and da evangelical 'waiting for the rapture' christians

remember, the video? i posted it last week (or the week before)



Joe Lieberman Defends Speech to Fundamentalist Christian War-mongers



Posted by Sarah Posner at 12:00 PM on August 6, 2007.

Sarah Posner: Senator "liberated" from Democratic Party says end-of-days scenario is "private theological matter."




In his Salon interview with Walter Shapiro this morning, Joe Lieberman defends his speech to Christians United for Israel last month. The goods:
You got a lot of criticism from bloggers for making a recent speech to Christians United for Israel. Everybody in politics makes speeches to groups that they haven't fully researched. Did you know exactly what you were endorsing when you spoke to them?
I know that they were very supportive of Israel, as I am. That they were supportive of the war in Iraq, which I am. And that they were very agitated about the rise of this particular Iranian regime. So I certainly didn't know -- and I don't know -- I go before groups all the time when I don't agree with them on everything.
So you are not endorsing their belief that the Rapture is imminent and that war in the Middle East presages that.

I have seen some things where Pastor [John] Hagee himself, the founder of the group, doesn't give support to that notion. But that's a private theological matter. Two reasons I went. One is a sign of my independence and liberation. I'm a believer that the more people you have in politics, the better. And that includes people of faith. If that is their motivation -- and no pun intended -- God bless them.............

original posting (and DO click on it JUST to watch the video): the best part is...

No comments: